Thursday, April 9, 2009

Where To Look

I have had a pretty insane last few days. Owen has been beyond a handful and I have dealt with it all horribly. Today was good, but the few days before were pretty Hellish. On Tuesday the 1st incident was a whole jar of Honey spilled on the hallway carpet, which was quite a nightmare to clean, hot water was key. I am sure I will be finding spots I missed for months to come. Later that day he sprayed PAM cooking spray all over the tile in the entry way and down the hallway. When I ran to catch him I slipped and screamed some obscenity resulting in waking up the baby.

On Satur-poop-day. He first pooped on the carpet in his bedroom, then once in the toilet, again in the corner of the dining room where he proceeded to drive his cars in the "mud" until we found him, and finally once in his spider man big boy pants while playing in the back yard.

Yesterday was pretty mild. The coloring on the bathroom walls wasn't too bad, but the poop in the hall moments later took it to a new level because Eli found it before I did. As with everything he touches lately, you can guess where it ended up!

I have come up with a plan to begin giving him more positive attention. Possibly a sticker chart. Also I can no longer chat on the phone during the day. I believe that he either gets bored while I am on the phone and therefore finds his own entertainment- i.e. a crazy screaming mother, or B he looks at my phone time as the perfect opportunity to get away with murder. Probably both. But either way it is not worth it. I figured I can still chat if and when he is asleep, and when he is strapped in his car seat.

Conference was really good. Which makes me feel like this could all be a large dose of temptation. I have always believed that at the moments you are tempted to do evil (kill my 3 year old) that those are the same moments that you are meant to and could do something amazing. Our opportunities for greatness if you will. So in a way the temptation is laid on really thick.

I know that through all this I can choose to grow or to not. I also completely realize that to many, this is not that big of a deal, but to me and my sanity, it is. All kidding aside I am really being tried and I need help. The good thing is I know where to look.

10 comments:

Kateenie said...

This post demonstrates why I've always looked up to and admired you. I wish I could say from experience (but I know from knowing your character); you'll survive this. You will turn this into something amazing. In the mean time, grin and bear it.

Lynnie said...

good for you Allison. I'm thinking about ditching the computer during the day cause nothing good happens when I'm on it but I'm too addicted. Hope your plan works and maybe it will inspire me too.

Katie said...

OH MY ALLISON. What a week. I am so sorry.

I cannot even imagine trying to get honey out. Then slipping on the pam! I am so sorry! Terrible.

Camille Kemp said...

Yes, I had the pleasure of being on the phone with you when you discovered the honey. All I heard was, "Is that honey? I gotta go." I had no idea you were talking about the carpet. With all the poop in your carpet now, it doesn't really make much sense to banish me from being a guest due to possible dog pee. Something to think about. :)

Lindsey said...

Wow! I am speechless and slightly petrified that this is in my future.

Here's hoping to a better next week.

On the plus side, you can always haunt him with these stories when he is older...tell all his girlfriends.

Katie @SwimBikeQuilt said...

Oh man. Sending Owen some calming vibes--and some prayers for sanity your way. We love you! Good luck!

Bromleys said...

I have so had those kind of weeks! This Thursday Max thought he would take a dump on our porch. Then... Luckily I got to the biggest poo first, because he cleaned the other one and let me tell you It wasn't as helpful as he thought.

Later in the day he took another poo and pee. Unfortunately, he cleaned this one all by himself. I need to stop talking too.

whitney said...

Oh man you have had a bad week.
Hope it gets better. I can't believe you are sane enough to look at it as a chance for a positive.
I like the sticker chart idea for good behavior. I have heard that works good for some kids. Crazy amounts of stickers for not doing bad things. I have also heard some people rip away stickers for really bad things. Nothing like tearing a kid down by tearing his stickers away.
But I'm all about whatever works for you. Maybe I need a sticker chart...

3703 said...

I hope you don't keep your knives next to the honey and cooking spray.

How come you did not take any pictures or video camera?

Allison said...

I didn't take pictures because my hands were busy BEATING my child! Yeah, I said beat. Thank you to Kamari who pointed out that I am a retard cause I am anti-spanking, but then I squished his cheeks so hard that was all shaky and he wouldn't look at me for an hour.