Friday, March 7, 2008

Cleaning Frenzy

Warning! Extremely Fascinating story below.....


Before
(not my shower but same idea)


After

When we bought our house almost 2 years ago I was amazed at how clean the previous owner had kept everything. Everything except the master bathroom shower that is. The caulk around the bottom of the shower was black especially in the corners. Shortly after we moved in I scrapped out all the caulk with a razor blade and then completely re caulked the floor, which took forever. I thought everything was great until 2 weeks later when the floor looked almost as bad as it did before I did anything. Anyway long story short I finally found this helpful advice. The cleaning process took a really long time. You start by cleaning the shower like normal. You then cover the shower in paper towels drenched in vinegar, and let it sit for a hours, and then you do the same thing with paper towels and bleach to get all the mess that is deep under the caulk. I am a little bummed that I didn't take before and after shots because my shower looks awesome! This did take super long and my house officially stinks like bleach and vinegar. The whole thing is pointless if you don't keep the mildew from coming back. The way to do this is to keep your shower clean and dry, so no shutting the shower door anymore. I just read what I wrote, and this is a pretty boring entry. But who knows... Maybe someone cares?

6 comments:

Anna said...

I care. Thanks. I'll be trying this in my shower tomorrow.

Anonymous said...

wow! I can hardly contain my excitement after reading this little housekeeping tidbit. THANKS

Mike Blakesley said...

Allison, since we are sharing random house cleaning tips, here is one that Sam discovered.

Our silverware was all stained from the dishware (ironic, I know). Well, it just happened that the spoon we used to make orange julius had a sparkling clean part and a disgusting stained part. Which led us to investigate orange juice concentrate for cleaning stained-stainless steel (again, an annoying bit of irony)

To cut out the rest of the drama, any kind of citrus works great for removing stains from stainless steel things.

Allison said...

Love the tip Mike and Sam. Keep 'em coming. Do you know how to clean your hard water stained glasses? Ours look pretty bad lately.

Mike Blakesley said...

Allison,
We managed to get most of our hard water stains off in the same way: by soaking the glasses in a solution of orange juice concentrate and hot water (We used two Tablespoons and filled a stock pot with water). BUT, the deposits on our glasses weren't too bad. I have heard that a mixture of water and white vinegar works too. Maybe you can do some experiments to see which one works better?

Cicely said...

K. This is funny, but as I was reading this- I really was like, "This is awesome!"

Good work team AKD.