Monday, July 2, 2007

Ladies in song


In high school I was the on newspaper staff. Mainly because I liked having an excuse to take pictures around the school. In order to pass the class you were suppose to "write" at least one article per issue. In the entire 2 years I was on staff I think I had 2 articles published. One was a hike review, and the other was an album review. So to say I have experience in writing album reviews, would be an over statement. But I do read a lot of them. So here goes my 1st blog album review.....

A few days ago I downloaded The Story, by Brandi Carlisle from itunes, I saw it mentioned on a friend of a friends blog so I thought I would check it out. When I went to listen to samples, I noticed that it was only $6.99 for 13 songs, a bargain I couldn't pass up. In looking through my itunes library it is apparent that male artist are the flavor of choice, but lately I have been warming back up to the female songwriters. Not since I attended the Lilith Fair the summer of 98 have women artists been so worth listening to, at least in my opinion.

I have always been more of a lyric person, I think that is why I love the artists that I have loved over the years. Elliott Smith, Bob Dylan(duh), and even Cat Stevens' music is so centered around lyrics. Their melodies, though great, are for the most part pretty simple. In this album Carlisle's lyrics shine. There are times that I feel she sounds like Fiona Apple, and others she is reminiscent of Nora Jones, with a little rock added in. Either way her mellow voice and soulful tone carry this album.

The true test of an album for me is found in listening to it in its entirety, the way the artist intended you to, so you can get the full experience. I have always been a fan of albums, not just songs. This is an entire album I could listen to over and over again. Well worth the $6.99.

5 comments:

Spencer Davis said...

How dare you buy an iTunes album without my permission? It must be all this female music you're listening to. Makes you feel pretty liberated huh? Next thing I know you'll be voting for Hilary.

Nonetheless it was a very good review and I must admit that my work has never before been published in any type of publication.

Jayme said...

I like Dylan for the melody and Eliott Smith because he's so cheery!!

In all seriousness, I enjoyed your review. I'll have to check it out. I own the Bob Dylan box set and everything by Elliott Smith. They are two of my favorite artists.

Jayme

Allison said...

Jayme,

REALLY, I had no clue, whats your favorite album. Mine is a tie between XO and either/or. Do you have the "new" album "new moon?" I got it a few weeks ago, it is pretty good. Elliott will always be one of my favs. Thanks for the comment. It is nice to have traffic other than my husband!

Anonymous said...

so if you're so in to female vocalists, why do you make fun of my Diana Krall, Jane Monheit, etc.???

Father Davis

Allison said...

I am into a few female singer/ songwriters, not all female vocalists. But I appreciate your comment, and maybe I will think about listening to Diana Krall, but If I was going to do that I could just hear the same songs by listening to the Billie Holiday albums I already own.