Monday, January 12, 2009

itunes picks

There once was a time when I felt like I was pretty "in the know" when it came to new and awesome upcoming sappy singer songwriter- put you to sleep type music. Sometimes it feels like I have been living in a cave, as far as my exposure to music goes the last few years. Anyway, I finally got a few new albums with the itunes gift cards I received for Christmas. Here are my choices thus far:


1st choice Ray Lamontagne: Gossip In The Grain. I am really still loving his music. Maybe it it that I got his first album right before OJD was born, his 2 albums have been like the soundtrack to my being a mom. Wow! I am a believer and Family's can be together forever and the church is true.





2nd Choice Fleet Foxes: Self Titled. I got this one cause it was on the NPR top albums of the year list. I really like it. But I have yet to fall in love.



3rd Choice Elvis Perkins: Ash Wednesday. Keeping inmind that I really like his voice and songwriting style, I do have a couple critiques: songs tend to be a bit repetitve and long winded. But I REALLY like it at the exact same time.




I have not been this pleased with my musical purchases in a long time. I like all the albums that I have gotten so far, not an easy feet. I am wondering if anyone has gotten any albums that they loved lately. If so pass them along. That is if it is not the crap my husband has been listening to. I am not interested in listening vomit in musical form, Thanks.

6 comments:

Kateenie said...

I feel the same way about the Fleet Foxes. I enjoy playing them in the background while I do other things, but I can't just sit back and enjoy.
I like your other picks; I'll have to download their albums as well.
As for recommendations, I'm still sorting through some stuff, so I don't have any right now.

Kateenie said...

Oh, I meant to add that while doing homework and wasting time on the internet, I have thesixtyone.com opened in another tab. Check it out if you aren't already a user.

mCat said...

I'm lame, I know none of those artists. Must do some research.....NOW

Spencer Davis said...

Since I know how much you love Norse Mythology, I would suggest Manowar: Gods of War. The whole album is about the relationships between Odin, Loki, and Thor. Excellent.

I've seen Fleet Foxes live. Don't you remember me telling you how boring they are?

Christina said...

I should qualify my comment first by noting that I am an old geezer and am way behind the times on music myself, but lately I have gotten a grip on my Tom Petty obsession long enough to check some new stuff out. If you are looking for more put you to sleep type music then you might hate all of this, but here are a few of my favorite people and corresponding albums:

*Spoon - Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga (my very favorite, you must check this out...make sure to give it a couple of listens before you decide if you are thinking no)
*The Killers - Day & Age (also a top favorite at the moment)
*The Kooks - Konk
*Radiohead - In Rainbows
*Flunk - Morning Star
*Death Cab For Cutie - Narrow Stairs
*Kings Of Leon - Only By The Night
*The Postal Service - Give Up
*Sufjan Stevens - Michigan

Not all of this brand new, some have been around for a bit. But that's all I can think of that is worth spending money on. I will be checking out your new stuff too!

Anonymous said...

There is this new group of brothers who play together and sing and get all crazy, they are called the Jonas Brothers -- look them up.